The Surf Sports team have made significant changes to the training opportunities for all members of the club. Age, skill level and fitness level… we have it covered! The full training schedule can be found below. There is most certainly something for everyone!
The Albany SLSC aim:
- to promote a consistent training presence and activity focus at the club over the weekend at regular timeslots – commencing on Friday night, followed by Saturday morning, and capped by the traditional Sunday club competition day – in order to maximise participation and build group training and club social momentum.
- to provides a range of options within a condensed three day window to suit the wider availability opportunities for members. This program also aims to establish and promote Saturday morning as a ‘club training’ session and an environment which encourages self-guided (and generally uncoached) group training, being well supported by the regular attendance of senior and experienced youth members conducting own training.
- to provide opportunity for occasional technical skills sessions and any professional coaching clinics. These will be advertised once confirmed.
- to engage new members to the range of possibilities within surf sports and skills development by taking the opportunity of running a number of activities side by side.
- to provide opportunities to target specific training for upcoming events which are either external and typically well supported by the club (Rotto Swim, Busso Swim), or itself run by the club (NYE Swim, Albany Surf Craft Challenge).
Albany SLSC provide a number formalised group training sessions. Details on upcoming events can be found below in the Training Schedule.
Boats: Weekdays on rolling basis @Midds & Kalgan River*
Boards: Weekdays on a rolling basis @Midds, Weekends @Midds/other beaches**
Ski: Tuesday & Thursday 6:00am and 6:30am @Midds, Oyster Harbour or Kalgan
Ski: Saturday 7:00am @Midds
Ironman: Saturday 6:30am @Midds
Swim: Monday & Wednesday 6:30am @Midds
Swim: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 6am @ ALAC
Swim: Tuesday & Thursday 7pm***
Run: Monday & Wednesday 7am @Centennial Athletics Track****
* see Boat Captain / Team for further information on how to join a boat crew
** intermediate-advanced competition focus, see Board Captain for further info
*** private swim squad, see Swim Captain for further info
**** part of a wider multi-week program initiative run privately by club member
Mixed Training = Run, Swim, Board, Ski, Rowing, Multis / Combinations
This may comprise either standalone discipline training eg Boats or Skis, or mixed discipline Ironman or Cameron training which is regularly undertaken by members regularly on a Saturday morning. Informal and uncoached, and sometimes limited to teams (eg a training Boat Crew), it will represent a valuable opportunity for all members to undertake own training in the company and with the support of other club members.
For some members This may also take the form of the Competition Board Training group which will again be led by Dean Symmans this year. Note a second Beginners Board Training group may be commenced during the season depending on demand and coaching availability.
For discipline training sessions please arrive 15min earlier than stated for setup. For mixed format involving skis, boats or other water draft, we recommend 30min prior for setup and warmup.
Fridays will aim to accommodate at least two options or ‘arenas’ to cater for all abilities and interests. Eg aim to maintain a regular ski training session for those unable to participate in specific run, swim or boat legs of the Friday night feature. However these features will be structured for broad participation by using mixed and shortened legs, and emphasis on participation.
Run Swim Run, Taplin, Cameron
Run Swim Run = 500m Run, 400m Swim, 400m Swim unless noted otherwise
Taplin = Swim, Run, Board, Run, Board, Run, Swim, Run
Cameron = Swim, Run, Board, Run
Club Handicap Swim
Swim where noted first on the program is assumed to be the Club Handicap Swim. This will be swim either as a stand alone first part of the Youth / Senior Program, or as the first leg of a continuous multi i.e. requiring competitors to continue directly from the swim generally to run to the next station leg / transition. This will require points program to swim the handicap swim, together. This format is to ensure the continued viability and support of the Club Swim. It will require the Club Swim move to a 7:30am start time.