|A big welcome to all new and returning members from the Albany SLSC Surf Sports team! We are looking forward to a huge season 2023-24… come and join the fun.
Team Leader – Nick Walker
Boat Captain – Jeff Medcalf
Beach Captain – Vacant
Board Captain – Greg Pepall
Ski Captain – Jason Bresanello
Swim Captain – Vacant
Youth Coordinators – Jocelyn Pass / Dani Lynch
Seniors Coordinator – Nick Walker
Competitions Coordinator – Vacant
Please make yourself known to any member of the team for further information about ways to get involved in the club this season – we are always on the lookout for extra helpers!
We hope you made it to the club on Sunday 22nd for the Meet, Greet & Merch session to meet some of our team and start your surf lifesaving journey. We aim to provide you with all the information you will need to join in the range of skills development, training and competition opportunities that are available to Youth & Seniors through the season in. These activities are reward for and an essential part of the skills and fitness needed to attain your Surf Rescue Certificate or Bronze Medallion. Remember your patrol hours are a pre-requisite for competing at all SLS carnival events!
This season we will again run training sessions on regular days and times through the week to maximise opportunities to train over a number of disciplines. All training by appointment with the relevant Captain or nominated Coach.
_Boards – Mon/Wed/Fri 6am (2 of)
_Ski – Tues & Thur 6am
_Ironman – Friday 4:15pm / Saturday 7am TBC
_Boats – varies by crew
Please contact our Sports Captains and Coaches if you would like to join a training group – for Youth and Seniors this will involve a quick assessment of your ability so we can get you on the right pathway from Day 1.
All training is run at Middleton Beach from the club unless otherwise advised. Times and days may vary with weather, demand, and changes to equipment storage later in the season – so get on the right communication channel so you don’t miss out.
CLUB SUNDAYS – STARTING SOON
Sundays are our big club day and features a weekly program designed to maximise participation, improve performance and fitness, and develop your surf and beach skills.
_6:45am Youth & Seniors surf skills & warmup
_7:15am Youth & Seniors Briefing
_7:30am Club Swim – all Youth & Senior members welcome!
_7:45am-8:45am Youth & Senior Program
_9:00am Woodside Nippers
_10:30am Washdown & Packup – team effort please
Season opens Sunday 29th October so get prepared!
CARNIVALS & COMPS – COMING SOON
26/27th November Rainbow Coast Carnival @Bremer Bay. Everyone’s favourite friendly comp and skills development weekend. More details coming soon!
Check out the busy comps calender here:
Calendar – Albany Surf Life Saving Club
Events Calendar – My Beach
· Coaches – if you have an interest or background in Swimming, Board Paddling or Beach Events (Flags, Sprint & Long Runs), and are keen to further develop your coaching skills, please register your interest! The club welcomes extra coaching support in each of our Nippers, Youth and Seniors age groups across all disciplines. Albany SLSC can also help you access the huge range of coaching resources offered by Surf Lifesaving WA every year.
· Media / Comms – help capture, share and promote our weekly endeavours to the club and wider community. Get creative – the sky’s the limit!
· Swim Captain – lead the revival of swimming at the club! Lots of activities to boost our surf swimming skills are planned for this season, here’s your chance.
· Beach Captain – we have some great coaches ready to go but need a leader for the Run, Sprint & Long Run arenas. We have a very competitive history in these disciplines and it would be great to continue our ‘good run’.
· Event Coordinators & volunteers – assist or take a lead in the delivery of any and all of ‘big 3’ events including the New Years Eve Swim, Harbour Swim (Easter Saturday 2024) and Surf Craft Challenge (June long weekend 2024). We also run a number of popular Club Sponsor trophy events including the annual BB Minicrete Long Run, Smith Thornton Swim (Principal Sponsor), a new Albany Community Pharmacy Woodside Nippers event, and planned events in 2024 for new Principal and Surf Boats sponsor Budget Albany, and new Lifesavers Relay to recognise our Lifesaving Division Sponsor Great Southern Specialist Centre. Check the website calender for details!
If these roles sounds like you, please contact Nick Walker at email@example.com or 0438 890 995.
A huge pool of resources awaits you at the SLS Members Portal, so get familiar with your login and visit regularly! You can manage your lifesaving training, see your patrol activity, and importantly access a huge range of coaching and training programs, instructional videos and development literature.
Go ‘Sports Hub’ to explore, listen and learn, and be ready to implement at your next training or club activity. At a club level we are also working on developing some specific resources for our website, but the SLS Members is the obvious starting choice.
Finally a huge thankyou to our Youth & Seniors Competitions sponsor BB Minicrete & Firewood Supplies for their continuing support, and helping us make season 2023-24 one to remember.
See you on the beach!
This season we will again run training sessions on regular days and times through the week to maximise opportunities