The Seniors season is slowly starting to take shape, and a big thanks to everyone who has joined in or supported the program so far. The club would also like to thank those members of our team who have contributed to the design process for the expansion of the club facilities over the off-season; an exciting project set to commence early next year.
Be sure to check the website calendar and recent RIPs for all your important event reminders and season updates!
A few tweaks have been made to the training schedule below. A reminder that all training is by appointment with the relevant Captain or nominated Coach.
- Boards ‘Comps’ – Monday/Wednesday/Friday 6am
- Boards ‘Intros’ – Friday 5pm
- Ski – Tuesday & Thursday 6am
- Ironman – Saturday 6am
- Boats – varies by crew
All training is run from Middleton Beach at the club unless otherwise advised. Times and days may vary with weather and subject to demand – so get on the communication channel preferred by the relevant coach/coordinator to make sure you don’t miss out.
It’s been a really encouraging start to the Sunday season with plenty of enthusiasm and steady numbers. Seniors, come on down every Sunday at 7am – ask around for a setup job, get your gear sorted, and jump in for the club swim at 7:30am, easy! The rest of the Seniors program will follow and wrap up in time for Nippers – so be ready for a board paddle, more swimming and a beach activity every week.
If you are just starting out, not sure you’re ready to join Sunday boards races just yet, and haven’t quite cracked the competition training group, then come down to the club on a Friday evening at 5pm to join our new ‘Intros’ board paddling sessions where you can work on your basic skills, surf craft and paddling fitness. Youth and Senior members will be joining us, so get down on time to arrange a board, get in a wetty if that’s your thing, and come ready to have a crack.
Nipper Program Support
Seniors are reminded that our Nippers are always looking for water safety and coaching support on Tuesday afternoons and Sunday mornings – please contact the Nippers Team for further information and ways to get involved.
We are very pleased to welcome Joslyn Pass to the Surf Sports Leadership Team as our new Youth Coordinator. Jos will work alongside stellar assistants/officials/motivators Col Pass and Dani Lynch to deliver the various parts of the Youth Program. The Seniors program has been run in with the Youth group for the last few years to good effect – we Seniors certainly owe a lot to the organisation, leadership and passion shown by these guys every week.
Youth Courses, Carnivals & Comps – coming soon at the Bremer Bay Carnival
Don’t miss out on the youth courses available on 26 November at the Rainbow Coast Carnival at Bremer Bay Registrations close Wednesday, 23 November! A full program will be released soon but, in the meantime, check out available details here. Follow these links to register for the Youth courses:
Its everyone’s favourite friendly comp and skills development weekend. Sign up to compete and find out to become a volunteer here.
In addition to the carnival program (starting around midday on Saturday, extending to Sunday morning), and youth development sessions (Saturday 9-11am), a performance skills session is being planned for early Saturday morning for our ski & board paddlers – stay tuned for more, and in the meantime get in touch with our ski & board captains to confirm gear transport and allocation details.
A reminder below as to who’s who in the surf sports team. Please make yourself known to any member of the team for further information about ways to get involved in the season – we are always on the lookout for extra helpers over a number of different roles.
- Team Leader – Nick Walker
- Boat Captain – Jeff Medcalf
- Beach Captain – Collin Pass
- Board Captain – Greg Pepall
- Ski Captain – Jason Bresanello
- Seniors Coordinator – Nick Walker
- Youth Coordinator – Joslyn Pass
- Competitions Coordinator – Nadine Shepherd
- Coaches – if you have an interest or background in coaching, and keen to further develop your coaching skills, please register your interest! The club welcomes extra coaching support in each of our Nippers, Youth and Seniors age groups across all disciplines. Albany SLSC can also help you access the huge range of coaching resources offered by Surf Lifesaving WA every year.
- Media / Comms – help capture, share and promote our weekly endeavours to the club and wider community. Get creative – the sky’s the limit!
- Events – assist or lead the planning and delivery of any of our ‘big 3’ events including New Year’s Eve Swim, Harbour Swim (Easter 2023) and Surf Craft Challenge (June long weekend 2023). We also run a number of popular Club Sponsor trophy events which will this season including the BB Minicrete & Firewood Supplier Run (2nd December), and long running Smith Thornton Swim (9th December). Check the website calendar for more!
If one of these sound like you, please contact Nick Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0438 890 995.
Finally, a huge thankyou to our Youth & Seniors annual sponsor BB Minicrete & Firewood Supplies for returning to the fold once again and helping the club to make season 2022-23 one to remember.
See you on the beach!